Saturday, 19 March 2016

3/19/2016 07:42:00 pm

Police have called on foreigners to carry their passports with them at all times in order to help officers crackdown on transnational crime.

On Friday evening, officers from Lumpini and Thonglor police raided entertainment venues and set up two police checkpoints in order to ensure that foreigners were carrying either their original passport or a photocopy with them.

The operation led by Pol. Lt. Gen Sanit Mahathavorn, Metropolitan Police Commander, saw raids on 15 entertainment venues.

Pol. Lt. Gen Sanit also revealed that passport control checkpoints were set up outside the Grace Hotel, Soi Nana and the Asoke Montri intersection.

The police commander, told reporters that the operation had been to focus on foreigners who may be involved in crime.

He added that following the raids and passport checks, everything went smoothly and no one was found to be breaking the rules.

“The reason I decided to do the mission tonight is because many entertainment venues which attract foreign tourists are located in these areas. And since many foreigners visit these areas I’m afraid some of them might have ill-intentions to be involved in dark business, or even crimes, especially trans-national crime.

“This operation also helps to boost confidence between tourists and the security forces”, he added.

“I also want to ask for cooperation from all tourists to carry their passports or a photocopy every time when they go out.”


Officials mull including kids caught overstaying visa in blacklist ban

Officers at Phuket Immigration will announce whether they will include children in a new blacklist banning re-entry for all foreigners who overstay their visas.
The news follows a notice – circulated via a Line group directly linked to Phuket Immigration – plainly stating: “it is not acceptable for children under 14 years old not to have a visa. If your child is under 14 years old and has no visa, you must apply for a visa by March, 20, 2016.”

“If they get caught without a visa, they will be banned from Thailand for a minimum of 1 year,” the notice continued.

The blacklist goes into effect on Sunday.



Phuket Immigration Col Sunchai Chokkajaykij has been unavailable for comment on the issue.

A senior-ranking officer at Phuket Immigration, who asked to remain anonymous, would not confirm or deny whether the notice was issued by Phuket Immigration staff.

However, the officer did tell The Phuket News: “The Immigration Bureau wants all foreigners to have the right documents while staying in the country and expects all foreigners and their children to have valid permits-to-stay without any exception – unlike in the past.

“The announcement that we will enforce the new overstay rules came three months ago. But the issue that is still being discussed is how these rules will apply to children and whether they will need a valid permit-to-stay by March 20 or be blacklisted.”

“It is a very sensitive issue and covers many criteria. The Immigration Bureau will have a press conference sometime next week to announce more details on this issue,” the officer added.

Immigration Bureau chief Nathathorn Prousoontorn on Saturday repeated his warning to all foreigners illegally overstaying their visa.

Under new Interior Ministry regulations, foreign travelers who overstay more than 90 days will be banned from re-entering the country for one year, he said.

People who overstay more than one year will face a re-entry ban of three years.

0 reacties:

Post a Comment