For most of the tourists who pass through Thailand annually, scams are not part of the experience. But for the few who do get tricked, it can be a painful reminder of the need to tread more carefully.
Yet despite many campaigns to increase awareness, scammers continue to find ways to profit from unwitting tourists.
Here are the Top 6 Scams in BKK To Avoid:
1. Hua Lamphong Scam – Outside the train station you will meet official looking people who will say they will help you book the seats. They take you to their nearby travel agent and pretend to ring the train booking office. They then say the train is full and your only way to travel is on one of their buses or taxis.
2. Thai Gem Scam – Into the gem shop, you are well looked after with personal service from the manager, free drinks etc. There then follows a high-pressure sales pitch, telling that you could resell the gems at a profit in their home country. Soon enough when you try to sell the expensively purchased “gems”, you will realise that they are really only worth a tiny fraction of what you paid for them.
3. Tuk Tuk Scam – Tuk Tuks parked in front of landmarks, hotels, shopping malls and other tourist places ask for a ludicrous fare for a short distance and/or you will find yourself inside a gem store again.
4. Patpong Sex Show Scam – Don’t believe the touts outside who say free sex shows and drinks for only 100 baht each. You will end up paying a bill in the thousands. Stay clear if you are alone as they can turn violent if you refuse to pay.
5. Taxi Scam – You hop into the taxi and off you go. That’s when you realize that the meter is off, so you kindly ask to have it turned on. At that point the driver will make an offer, an amount higher than the usual, but will never switch on his meter. As you are already rolling it’s hard to ask the taxi to stop, especially since your suitcase is in the back trunk.
6. Pickpocket – These are pickpocket pairs. Whereby One person will distract you and the other will pickpocket you from behind.
Avoid these top 6 scams in Bangkok